Sunday, April 11, 2010

Part Two - Pages 10 through 17 - Due Monday, April 19

I love the story about Gary, the young life leader. Not because I can relate, but because I am jealous. I wish I had a Gary, or more appropriately a woman, who took that kind of interest in me as a young teenager.


WHEN YOU WERE STEVE'S AGE DID ANYONE INVEST IN YOU LIKE GARY DID TO STEVE? IF SO, TELL US ABOUT IT. IF NOT, WHAT ARE YOUR REFLECTIONS ABOUT THAT?


I remember singing about the Year of Jubilee, but I never knew what it was all about.

So it seems it's all about trust.

CAN YOU SHARE A TIME WHEN YOU TRUSTED GOD FOR SOMETHING AND THERE WAS NOTHING YOU COULD DO BUT WATCH GOD MEET YOUR NEED?


At the beginning of this section Steve shares a bit of how he felt prior to Gary connecting with him. It's obvious that Gary filled a big void in Steve's life. Now we know that he had loving parents, but as teenagers we don't identify with our parents as someone who meets our needs and makes us feel important.

Are you guys too young to remember the TV show 'Cheers?" The theme song went like this:

Making your way in the world today
Takes everything you've got;
Taking a break from all your worries
Sure would help a lot.
Wouldn't you like to get away?


Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name,
And they're always glad you came;
You want to be where you can see,
Our troubles are all the same;
You want to be where everybody knows your name.


HAVE YOU EVER BEEN LONELY...OR FELT LIKE NO ONE WAS THERE FOR YOU? IF SO, WHAT BROUGHT YOU OUT OF THAT PLACE?

3 comments:

  1. Jere's answer:
    WHEN YOU WERE STEVE'S AGE DID ANYONE INVEST IN YOU LIKE GARY DID TO STEVE?

    That is the one thing I regret: not having a mentor in my life as a young adult. We went to a pretty old, lame church with no one really committed to teens.

    In young life there were a couple of guys that did invest in our group of friends - the Young Life friends, that is. But either they were connecting more with the guys or hitting on us.

    When I found myself pregnant in high school the only person I could think of to help me was my aunt who lived in Pasadena.

    I think it is important for everyone to have a mentor, or someone who we can look up to for guidance and help. People with similar experiences and values who have been there - done that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JERE'S COMMENT ON:

    CAN YOU SHARE A TIME WHEN YOU TRUSTED GOD FOR SOMETHING AND THERE WAS NOTHING YOU COULD DO BUT WATCH GOD MEET YOUR NEED?

    Trusting God is so complicated. For me it's easy to trust God for the easy things. But for something big and out of my control...forget about it!

    Trust implies letting go of the reins. Believing in the God breathed words that trusting God is part of being a follower of Jesus.

    Money is the hardest thing for me to trust God in. And he's made sure I get lots of practice at it. For me part of trusting God is also trusting my husband. There in lies the problem for me.

    At times I've gotten so keyed up about something out of my control that I have begged and prayed for apathy just as a way to make it through the stress.

    Trust in God with all my heart and don't leave it to my own small mind to understand. Give every thought and plan to God and he'll work things out.

    Will it always be easy and peaceful? no. But God walks with me through life.

    It's gotten easier as I get older. Not sure it's anything that I have done but maybe I have begun to realize that so much about life is out of my control so why fight God for the reins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenna's response to:WHEN YOU WERE STEVE'S AGE DID ANYONE INVEST IN YOU LIKE GARY DID TO STEVE? IF SO, TELL US ABOUT IT. IF NOT, WHAT ARE YOUR REFLECTIONS ABOUT THAT?

    I think aside from mom and dad there were several people who made smaller impacts that were similar to how Gary influenced Steve. I was never settled enough to have a consistent "mentor" figure but defiantly there were people who made a huge difference in my life. Youth leaders, friend's, parents etc... I think honestly at one point Erica was this person for me. Kind of weird how things work out :-)

    Response to: CAN YOU SHARE A TIME WHEN YOU TRUSTED GOD FOR SOMETHING AND THERE WAS NOTHING YOU COULD DO BUT WATCH GOD MEET YOUR NEED?

    RIGHT FREAKING NOW!!!!! I want change in my job, in my line of WORK and in my life, but I don't have a clear view at ALL of what that looks like! I love my life but I need stability and guidance. but ALL I can do is pray. My friend Matt put me in my place the other night... what can WE do that He can't, nothing. God is all powerful, all we can do is pray and pray harder... but that is the single most HARDEST thing for me to do!!!!!!!!

    response to: HAVE YOU EVER BEEN LONELY...OR FELT LIKE NO ONE WAS THERE FOR YOU? IF SO, WHAT BROUGHT YOU OUT OF THAT PLACE?

    hahaha Have I been there?? lol OFTEN, but time and prayer are what kept that peace in me that is necessary to find that guidance and fulfillment. I find that whenever I am in this place, I pray the most. I also re-evaluate myself and my life to see how I got to this place. I have grown to look at it as a GOOD thing.

    ReplyDelete